By William D. Davies
The papers during this quantity research the present function of grammatical capabilities in transformational syntax in methods: (i) via principally theoretical concerns in their prestige, and (ii) via designated analyses for a wide selection of languages. Taken jointly the chapters during this quantity current a finished view of how transformational syntax characterizes the elusive yet usually helpful notions of topic and item, analyzing how topic and item houses are dispensed between numerous sensible projections, converging occasionally particularly languages.
Read or Download Objects and Other Subjects: Grammatical Functions, Functional Categories and Configurationality PDF
Similar semantics books
C. S. Peirce was once the founding father of pragmatism and a pioneer within the box of semiotics. His paintings investigated the matter of which means, that's the center element of semiosis in addition to an important factor in lots of educational fields. Floyd Merrell demonstrates all through Peirce, indicators, and which means that Peirce's perspectives stay dynamically correct to the research of next paintings within the philosophy of language.
This e-book bargains a brand new method of the research of the a number of meanings of English modals, conjunctions, conditionals, and conception verbs. even if such ambiguities can't simply be accounted for by means of feature-analyses of observe which means, Eve Sweetser's argument indicates that they are often analyzed either comfortably and systematically.
This easy-to-use consultant illuminates key techniques and phrases in semantics and pragmatics and the research of which means because it is conveyed via language.
CDS is a multifarious box regularly constructing various methodological frameworks for analysing dynamically evolving features of language in a large variety of socio-political and institutional contexts. This quantity is a leading edge, interdisciplinary account of those theoretical and empirical advancements.
- Journal on Data Semantics V
- Historical discourse: the language of time, cause and evaluation
- Reference and Computation: An Essay in Applied Philosophy of Language
- Was ist ein Text? Alttestamentliche, ägyptologische und altorientalistische Perspektiven
Extra info for Objects and Other Subjects: Grammatical Functions, Functional Categories and Configurationality
E. overtly)". An alternative view (as represented by Bittner 1 988, Campana 1992, and Murasugi 1992) is what Campana characterizes as the "ergative-as-accusative" analysis, in which, under Minimalist assumptions, absolutive DPs have their features checked in spec,AgrS while ergative DPs have their features checked in spec,AgJO. • 1 MARK C. AATICAL RELAnONS One of the defining properties of the nan:owly Chomskian approach to syntax ' over the years has been its corrunitment to the idea that grammatical relations such as subject and object are not primitives of grammatical theory.
In this circumstance, the same Agr feature associated with the thematic object of a transitive clause will need to also be checked by the single argument of an intransitive clause (whether unergative or unaccusative). It is this same Agr feature that is checked by the thematic subject of a transitive clause when the thematic object undergoes noun incorporation with the verb. This case system is schematized in (20). (20)a. b. Transitive clause: [ Thematically-high-ar8x [Thematically-Iow-argy AgrX AgrY ...
20) illustrates Negative Po larity Li cens ing in wh ich a contextually restricted anyone must be c-commanded by an item with inherent negative force like , item like nobody. (20)a Nobody pers uaded anyone that video games are good for you . b. * Anyone persuaded nobody that video gam es are good for you. c. )Nobody persuaded the principal that anyone was sick. d. *A nyone persuaded the principal that nobody was sick. Finally. (21) shows the same kind of parallel ism between embedding prominence and relational prominence in the domain of NP movement.