By Christine M. Sarteschi
This well timed reference examines the mental and social phenomena of mass and serial homicide, bringing scholarly intensity to a regularly sensationalized topic. Its evaluation of the literature beneficial properties case reviews of serial and mass murderers to extend on salient theories of evil, with biopsychosocial profiles highlighting middle character characteristics, really malignant narcissism, linked to psychopathy and its usually lethal results. The author’s insightful research separates misconceptions from fact, poses questions for severe pondering and dialogue, and gives practical feedback for prevention. Public fascination with those violent figures—the mystique of serial killers and their reputation within the leisure media—is explored as well.
Included within the coverage:
· Public curiosity in mass and serial murder.
· techniques of evil: the place it comes from, and why humans kill.
· Mass homicide: class, motivation, and typologies.
· Serial homicide: motivation and typologies.
· present tendencies in prevention, and components for improvement.
· Plus instructive case reports, either recognized and less-known.
Mass and Serial homicide in America is illuminating studying for undergraduate and graduate scholars and practitioners in social technological know-how disciplines corresponding to felony justice, criminology, social paintings, psychology, forensic psychology, and similar fields. it's going to additionally locate an viewers between educators instructing classes in those components, in addition to laypersons.
Read or Download Mass and Serial Murder in America PDF
Best psychopathology books
Unitas is an outreach healing software serving Hispanic and African American young ones within the South Bronx. it's a advanced institutional constitution dependent upon philosophical, mental, and sociological perspectives of ways interpersonal kin should be formed within the curiosity of a kid's fit social and emotional existence.
Whether or not they are wealthy or terrible, tall or brief, liberal or conservative, so much younger American girls have something in common--they are looking to be skinny. and they're prepared to visit remarkable lengths to get that method, even to the purpose of ravenous themselves. Why are America's ladies so preoccupied with weight?
Schizophrenia is a disorder that afflicts a few 2. 2 million folks of every age. It has a wide-ranging impression at the lives of not only the folks who've it, but in addition the folk who love them. In an period of de-institutionalization and controlled care, mom and dad and different adults, reminiscent of lecturers and coaches, becomes the 1st defensive position by contrast severe illness that sometimes assaults humans the overdue youth or early twenties.
A pioneering researcher and one of many world’s finest specialists on stressful tension deals a daring new paradigm for therapeutic Trauma is a truth of existence. Veterans and their households care for the painful aftermath of wrestle; one in 5 americans has been molested; one in 4 grew up with alcoholics; one in 3 have engaged in actual violence.
- Social Causes of Psychological Distress (Social Institutions and Social Change)
- Autism Spectrum Conditions : a Guide
- Constructive Therapies: Volume 1
- Borderline Personality Disorder in Adolescents, 2nd Edition: What To Do When Your Teen Has BPD: A Complete Guide for Families
Additional info for Mass and Serial Murder in America
2. Fixation warning behavior: involves pathological preoccupation with a person or cause. 3. Identiﬁcation warning behavior: composed of ﬁve main characteristics including “pseudocommando” behavior, evidence of a warrior mentality, an obsession for weapons or other military or law enforcement paraphernalia, wanting to imitate or outdo previous attackers or assassins, or considering oneself to be an important asset in advancing a particular cause or belief system (Meloy et al. 2015). 4. Novel aggression warning behavior: a ﬁrst-time act of violence that appears unrelated to any particular target for the potential forthcoming attack.
1007/s11873-014-0250-2 Columbine Review Commision. (2001). The report of governor Bill Owens’ Columbine review commission, Denver, Colorado. pdf Coston, B. , & Kimmel, M. (2012). Seeing privilege where it isn’t: marginalized masculinity’s in the intersection analogy of privilege. Journal of Social Issues, 68, 97–111. 1111/j. x Delisi, M. (2015). Mayhem by occupation: On the relevance of criminal careers to sexual homicide offenders. In A. Blokland & P. ), Sex offenders: A Criminal Career Approach (pp.
The Chicago Police Department uses social network analysis software, designed for the military, to track gang violence (Dillow 2014). A 2014 LexisNexis survey of social media use in law enforcement reported that more than half (51 %) monitor social media for potential crime activity (LexisNexis 2014). The extent to which intercepted social media messages, can effectively prevent mass murder or crime in general has yet to be thoroughly assessed. Media Contagion and Copycat Crimes Some research suggests that unstable or vulnerable individuals might copy the crimes most publicized by the media, though to date this is an understudied social phenomenon (Surrette 2014).